Wednesday 3 August 2011

Return to RPGs: Appendix 1 - Pathfinder

Odd. I have not finished my series on my return to RPG gaming and here I am writing the appendix already.  In essays I always used to write my conclusion first so I knew what research I wanted to cite :) The reason I am doing a quick appendix is because of this:

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="800" caption="Pathfinder RPG Core, Cover"]Pathfinder RPG Core, Cover[/caption]

I have just got this through the post today.

During my return to roleplaying I tried to find out what had happened in the many, many years I was away. I learned that TSR was gone and some card gaming company had eaten it and done something potentially nasty to AD&D. Which initially did not bother me till I realised that AD&D was all that was left.



last time I had been near an edition of AD&D it was the second edition which I thought was pretty nifty but not as good as proper D&D.

Things had changed. A lot.

As part of my return to roleplaying I had already played some 4th edition D&D (4th I thought!) which was like the game I remembered but not quite. I spent a lot of time looking for the THAC0 on the character sheet but it did not have one. I do not want to get into a post about 4th Edition vs previous editions, it is a big world and there is space for many variations.

A bearded facebook friend had mentioned something called Pathfinder, which sounded like a cult so I ignored him.

Eventually someone said that it was basically the closest I was going to get to old D&D. So I have it, it looks wonderful. Just like I remember but without THAC0 and without some of the fluff that seems to have been added on. I looked inside to see if I could find pages full of tables:

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="800" caption="Pathfinder RPG, Additional Rules"]Pathfinder RPG, Additional Rules[/caption]


Yes, I can. The game looks wonderful. Ploughing through the book may cause me to stop blogging, eating and going to work for the next few days.

Links

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Editions_of_Dungeons_%26_Dragons#Advanced_Dungeons_.26_Dragons_2nd_edition

http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/THAC0

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG

No comments:

Post a Comment