Tuesday 9 August 2011

Return to RPGs IV: My Love For Sheena Easton's Tail.

Sheena Is A Punk Rocker

Well not really. What do we know about Sheena? Wikipediarrrr!
Sheena Easton (born Sheena Shirley Orr; 27 April 1959) is a Scottish recording artist. Easton became famous for being the focus of an episode in the British television programme The Big Time, which recorded her attempts to gain a record contract and her eventual signing with EMI Records. Easton rose to fame in the early 1980s with the pop hits "9 to 5" — known as "Morning Train" in the United States — and "For Your Eyes Only", "Strut", "Sugar Walls", "U Got the Look" with Prince, and "The Lover in Me". She went on to become successful in the United States and Japan, working with prominent vocalists and producers, such as Prince, Christopher Neil, Kenny Rogers, Luis Miguel, L.A. Reid and Babyface, and Nile Rodgers.

No. That is not what she is famous for.

This is what she is famous for;



[caption id="attachment_603" align="aligncenter" width="480" caption="Annah of the Shadows ( (c) Michele Chang http://deadred-art.blogspot.com/)"]Annah of the Shadows ( (c) Michele Chang http://deadred-art.blogspot.com/)[/caption]

Well not exactly. But close. After wandering away from roleplaying and suchlike I still had geeky interests.

Dungeons and Desktops

Apologies to the book I just stole the title from (link below)

I had always liked, still do, shiny technological items. Eventually in the late 90s I managed to gain myself a computer. A pentium 90 I believe it was.

[caption id="attachment_604" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption="Pentium 90 - My First Computer"]Pentium 90 - My First Computer[/caption]

It went like the clappers.  It even had a 5 and a quarter inch floppy drive, I kid you not. Eventually I upgraded to some kind of faster machine. Then I came across the game that was to change my life.

Up to this point I had played some roleplaying games on the PS1. Finaly Fantasy 7 was brilliant, but not really what I thought of as a roleplaying game.  Neither was Zelda for that mattter. A bit too linear, not enough options to actually play a role. Most of the other RPG games I now know existed round this time had passed me by for a number of reasons.

I discovered The Nameless One.

[caption id="attachment_605" align="aligncenter" width="404" caption="Planescape Torment Box Cover"]Planescape Torment Box Cover[/caption]

 

 

In my head I called him Bob.
Aside:
telnet horatio23.college.ac.uk 2023

LPmud! The less said about that the better. Probably still the closest you can get to proper roleplaying on a computer. Though I have never played World of Warcraft so maybe that is better. I suspect not.

Back to Planescape:Torment. There I was with my 300MHz PC, four CDs and a desire to see what this game was about. I can not remember how, why or where I got the game.

You start the game in a mortuary, on a slab with no memory of how you ended up in that position. Turns out you have recently been dead and are now in recovery. A floating talking skull befriends you, as they do, and escaping the mortuary you set off on your adventures through memory and plane. Meeting the best selection of NPCs you will ever meet. They chat to one another, by chat I mean verbally abuse, throughout the game. Conversational options for yourself while limited are varied and interesting. Allowing for many approaches to solving the games many, many twisted puzzles. Fighting is almost optional for much of the game. Unless you want to fight.

One of the characters is voiced by Scotland's greatest export herself.

Planescape and to a lesser extent Neverwinter nights (1) kept me going through much of my away from pen and paper RPGs years.

If you have never played P:T I insist that you go and buy it from Good Old Games and do so now. Neverwinter Nights I don't care so much.

I thought I was never going to have a proper game of D&D again. Explaining myself to adults was getting tricky, how did one seek out a game in a town with no game shop before the days of everything being on the internet?

Part V: Optimistically Seeking Nerdvana

Links
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheena_Is_a_Punk_Rocker

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planescape:_Torment

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/planescape_torment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheena_Easton

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dungeons-Desktops-History-Computer-Role-playing/dp/1568814119

http://lpmuds.net/lpmud_faq.html 

No comments:

Post a Comment